
I will try not to begrudge a company for producing a film that will likely be a license to print money. But nor will I not express a token disappointment that Illumination is spending time and resources on a straight IP adaptation, one that has already been adapted no less. Sure, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas is probably going to make a fortune this Thanksgiving, but the House That Gru Built has thrived partially because it has become a strong enough brand to open outright originals like The Secret Life of Pets and Sing.
Secret Life of Pets became the first “not based on anything” flick to top $100 million in its opening weekend. While I totally get cashing in on that success with Minions 2 or Despicable Me 3 and the like, I hope that this animated adaptation of the Dr. Seuss book isn’t a sign that Illumination won’t be as willing to attempt to create new franchises and new IP.
Watch the video here:
What do you think about this. Let us know in the comments.
Comments